Teleworking, confinement, other bans on contacts and meetings have now been part of our daily lives for a few days. I wanted to write an article explaining my vision of SEO activities in this time of crisis: Why should SEO remain your priority?
- Because the work done today will pay off tomorrow
- Because SEO is a medium to long term job (even if actions have short term effects)
- Because even if the search volumes of the last days are completely different from the normal, your good position acquired today will remain after the crisis
- Because you have (or will have within the next few days) perhaps time to ask yourself about substantive subjects, really think about SEO!
- Because even if you do not do the usual volume of orders it is the case for everyone, focus on what can be done to develop your positioning
- Because part of SEO actions can be carried out remotely
In short, take advantage of this period to take a step back. Don’t stay focused on the fact that your business is complicated right now. I would like to point out once again that this is certainly not valid for all activities or all sectors. Each situation is different, but when possible set yourself goals, if you have less activity at the moment, take the time to work on your SEO:
- Identify projects in progress and projects recently postponed for lack of time and get into action!
- Define and prioritize tasks for your employees and service providers. If your employees are teleworking, these are precisely the missions they can do
- Your providers are generally available. Take stock of the latest assessments and other recommendations and ask yourself!
I really recommend putting yourself in project mode whether it’s with Trello or Asana (which I use every day) or any other task manager. Besides, if you don’t use one, maybe it’s time to ask yourself to discover the benefits 🙂
If possible do not cut current SEO actions
A stopped or canceled Netlinking campaign will penalize you in a few weeks. It will also be able to stop the possible dynamic in which you were. Cutting a link campaign is therefore not recommended (within the limits of the financially possible for the client) because this will condition your results for tomorrow. As much on an ADS campaign it is debatable (see the last paragraph) but in SEO the most important is the regularity of your actions. If you do not stay the course with your SEO actions you risk falling behind and when you resume activity you will be even further behind. This also applies to ON-SITE actions. Don’t get left behind on SEO and stay active if possible. If some deeper topics need to be pushed back, try to keep the momentum going. About me, I am more available than ever to move forward on projects with my clients. We have the chance to work on the short / medium and long term at the same time with SEO. Brief your employees, contact your agency or consultant to take stock and define your priorities without questioning everything (again if possible financially).
5 simple SEO actions that can be taken in the short term
Although deeper SEO actions could be cited, I have voluntarily indicated concrete recommendations that are quick and easy to implement.
Content production (creation or optimization)
If you have internal collaborators in charge of writing content, define an editorial schedule with them if this is not the case. This remains the basis of the foundation of SEO. If you are late on this subject, it is in my opinion the first simple action to take. If you don’t know where to start, ask your SEO consultant or your agency for advice on an SEO brief on the pages to be produced or optimized. In the event that you outsource this part, you are aware that the editorial brief is strategic and often quite long to complete. Take the time to update your editorial schedule and send your briefs to your editors. In case you have an international site version, it is
Crawl and technical optimizations
Now is the time to clean up your pages and spend some time on simple optimization.
- Pages in 404, 500 or redirect linked internally
- Broken or redirected outbound links
- Treatment of orphan pages
- Handling of poor, unnecessary or very low added value pages
- Correction of various errors reported by Google Search Console
SEO optimization of your pages
This is often left behind on sites with very high page volume because it is very time consuming for iamdigitalninja seo in delhi, but basic SEO optimization work is essential. Identify your pages with the tags to correct and optimize. Take the time to clean everything:
- Duplicate SEO tags
- Long / short title tags
- Long / short meta description tags
- Pages without H1
- Pages with multiple H1
- Poor content pages
Do not hesitate to request a technical crawl from your service provider or your teams as appropriate. Immediate actions, easy to delegate and essential will result.
Loading times analysis
Do you find your site slow? Take the time to look into the subject or talk about it with your SEO consultant and your collaborators. Run the various free simple analysis tools: Dareboost (limited number of studies), GT METRIX, Browser element inspector, Google Page Speed … Take the time to go into the details of the possible optimizations. Too often, the optimization margins are neglected by the teams because they take too long to be done or supposedly not essential. Spend time on it, it’s worth it. We still see 3MB slider image or huge JS / CSS files all too often, not to mention poor cache management.
Are you aware that Google is almost 100% based on its Mobile algorithm? Take the time to consult your site on Mobile and page by page, identify any optimizations. Questions to ask yourself:
- Is the content of your Mobile and Tablet site the same as on PC?
- Does the site take a long time to load?
- Are you having trouble viewing your site on Mobile?
- Do you have different URLs between PC and Mobile version? If so you should read Google’s recommendations on the subject
Finally, a few deeper subjects to study. I do not go into details, the goal is really to give ideas:
- Analysis of your structured data by page type
- Analysis of your internal network, is it possible to optimize your siloing?
- Analysis of your server logs
- Do you have unused SEO opportunities (new pages, themes, files, articles …)?
Do not systematically cut your Ads and Social campaigns
This is not valid for all sectors. I make it clear. But cutting a campaign can have negative effects especially at the time of restarting. On campaigns with automatic bidding strategies (Target CPA, ROAS, CPA …), you risk losing the good dynamics of this one if you had good performance and part of your history. I mean part, not all, but my recommendation is to analyze, campaign by campaign, which should be cut or not. A consulting activity which generates qualified contacts and which can honor a first contact from a distance despite the crisis does not in my opinion have any interest in cutting. A pure player on VAD and who can honor his orders, also has no interest in cutting right away. Obviously, on a notoriety campaign with a medium-long term objective this will not be the case, or an activity that cannot be carried out immediately. Each case is different, the goal is not to spend budget unnecessarily but think of one thing: do not suddenly cut and analyze in detail what needs to be adjusted and what not. Finally, the day-to-day performance analysis must be carried out to adjust your budgets according to the ROI. Every day is different. Also do not compare with N-1 or M-1 or even D-1 at the risk of getting lost in analyzes and comparing what is not comparable. is not to spend budget unnecessarily but think of one thing: do not suddenly cut and analyze in detail what needs to be adjusted or not. Finally, the day-to-day performance analysis must be carried out to adjust your budgets according to the ROI. Every day is different. Also do not compare with N-1 or M-1 or even D-1 at the risk of getting lost in analyzes and comparing what is not comparable. is not to spend budget unnecessarily but think of one thing: do not suddenly cut and analyze in detail what needs to be adjusted or not. Finally, the day-to-day performance analysis must be carried out to adjust your budgets according to the ROI. Every day is different. Also do not compare with N-1 or M-1 or even D-1 at the risk of getting lost in analyzes and comparing what is not comparable.